Friday, September 23, 2011

Discovering the Americas


This year we are using "The Story of the U.S" and "Pilgrims and Patriots" from My Father's World for history. History was probably my favorite subject in school. Up until high school anyways. It wasn't as much fun in the AP classes for some reason. It derailed me from any interest in majoring in history in college that's for sure. Anyways, relearning US history has been a lot of fun for me and my girls seem to be enjoying it, too.

We started off learning about those fierce Vikings ... Leif the Lucky, Eric the Red, Lyle the Friendly.





After the Vikings we moved on to Spaniards. My printer is temporarily (better only be temporary!) out of order .... acting as a wireless router and not a printer so I had to draw out the map for Columbus' journeys. I drew it on card stock and then mod poged it to a piece of foam board. The girls sat outside and painted them with water colors.



check out aubrey's mermaid outfit


Then we went in search of acorn caps to make the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. We used little pieces of paper for the sails and toothpicks for the masts. Then I hot glued the sails into the acorn cap and then hot glued the ships in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.



The next day we finished up our reading on Christopher Columbus and marked his trip on the maps using push pins and embroidery floss.



No comments: